149 Finals time! AFL
September brings the finals of the Australian Football League. Use your students' interest in this popular sporting code to explore the probabilities of which team from the final eight is more likely to win the Grand Final.
The accompanying software is essential. It allows students to run multiple trials to relate the empirical probability of the simulation to the theoretical probability. Students can also refine the mathematical model by experimenting with using different weightings.
includes the lesson, pedagogical pointers, information on the software, and practical hints
- Final eight board for each group (supplied as a pdf)
- Small sticky notes, one for each student
- Pack of playing cards, divided into four suits from the Ace to the 8
- Dice, two for each group
- Finals time! AFL software:
- Links to the Australian Curriculum
AC:M content strands